For many, traveling comes as a passion. The open road. The excitement of visiting a far off land. Escaping city life for a something slower paced. No matter where your passion for travel stems from, on your next big adventure, it may become necessary to find self storage for some, or all, of your personal belongings. Whether you’re a traveling professional who won’t be able to use seasonal sports equipment for an extended period of time or you’re hitting the road for a year abroad, it’s time to consider travel storage.
After you’ve made the decision to travel long term, several questions come to mind:
- Are you going to give up your apartment/sell your home?
- If you’re going to rent it out, will you rent it furnished or unfurnished?
- Even if you rent it furnished, what are you going to do with all of your stuff?
- What are you going to do with your car while you’re gone?
While your parents’ garage or basement may be an attractive option, odds are it isn’t pest-free and climate-controlled. Long-term self storage provides a viable solution to the dilemma of where to keep your stuff while you’re out of town or out of the country.
Storing Your Belongings While Traveling
You can’t take it all with you and why would you want to? You’re definitely not going to need your snowboard in Thailand or the entirety of your wardrobe no matter where you’re traveling. Storing your belongings in a clean, climate-controlled storage unit offers many advantages for travelers. Before reserving your storage unit, it’s important to keep several considerations in mind.
Storage facilities, like those at CitiWide Self Storage, often offer a variety of sizes of units that range from tradition to climate-controlled. While some storage renters may look for a unit they can grow into and continue to add belongings to over time, with travel self storage you likely only need another storage for what you have in the present. Other factors to consider include:
- How much stuff you’re going to store
- What types of items you’re going to store and if they need a climate-controlled environment
- Vehicle storage options - Would you rather store it inside or in a covered outdoor parking space?
- Storage facility security and maintenance
- Options for automatic or online payments in order to pay for your storage unit while on the road
- Month-to-month leases for flexibility while traveling - Your contract may get extended and you’ll stay in Tokyo another six months
Factoring these considerations into your travel storage decision will lead you to the best option for your personal situation. Determine how much you have to store, what type of storage you’ll need and then find a facility that meets your travel storage needs. Choosing a facility that allows for online, automated payments helps keep your mind on the road instead of in your checkbook.
Travel Storage Options at CitiWide
Travel broadens horizons, extends career growth, and allows you to experience different cultures. Don’t let the concern of where to store your belongings for a year deter you from venturing out on the trip of a lifetime. With travel storage options at CitiWide Self Storage, you can rest easy knowing your belongings will be taken care of in your absence. Visit CitiWide Self Storage in Long Island City, NY, to find the perfect travel storage unit for your next bout of wanderlust.