February may be one of the most difficult months of the year for those of us in winter climates. By this point, snow has lost its allure and we’re ready for sunshine and dry socks. Though February may be the shortest month, it’s at the tail end of winter and has the potential to give us all a little cabin fever. Fear not! Here are five of our favorite ways to beat the winter blues in New York this February:
- Organize the Space Around You - Why save cleaning and organizing for the spring? Spring cleaning means you’re wasting time inside when you could be outside enjoying the world. You’ll find that by organizing your space, you’re maximizing the usable area in your home as well as your springtime fun outdoors! After re-organizing ask yourself, are things still too cluttered? Renting a storage unit can help make room in your home. Store seasonal clothes, toys and holiday decorations; anything that’s cramping your style or your home.
- Start an Exercise Routine - One of the best ways to beat the winter blues is to increase endorphins by starting a manageable exercise routine. You don’t have to join a gym or head down to the yoga studio to create an exercise routine that increases your happiness quota. Go to YouTube, Pinterest and Livestrong to find the best exercises for energy and happiness. Watch as your blues (and maybe even your belly) melt away.
- Make Your Own Valentines - Don’t have a special someone for Valentine's Day? Don’t let that bring you down. Create homemade Valentines for anyone and everyone you love in your life. Getting crafty and surrounding yourself with love, light and positivity is good for the soul and will help you banish the winter blues away. Spread the love to your mail carrier, your daughter’s teacher, your elderly neighbor, your mom, your best friends, your beau. Not only will the act help you beat boredom, it may brighten someone else’s day.
- Start Watching the Top 100 Movies of All Time - Have you watched one too many episodes of Friends on Netflix? Do you think Rosebud is just the start of a new flower? Change up your viewing routine by watching AFI’s Top 100 Movies of All Time. You may not get through the whole list this winter, but you’ll put a good dent in it and see a lot of amazing works of cinematic magic throughout the process.
- Get the Gang Back Together - It’s easy to hunker down and hibernate for the winter, but you can beat the blues by regularly getting your friends together. And after you’ve cleaned, organized, and moved unused items to self storage, you’ll have more space for entertaining. Plan a rotating themed dinner or game night with your friends. Do a taco bar at your house one week and gyros at your best friend’s house the next week. Getting the gang back together is a surefire way to beat the winter blues in New York.
What do you do to beat the winter blues in New York? If you decide to take our advice and get organized this winter, view the selection of storage units available from CitiWide Self Storage. Clear the clutter and get happy this winter!